converted to a question.

** Changed in: gedit (Ubuntu)

** Converted to question:
   https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gedit/+question/684506

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  gedit crashes system when launched from terminal as root

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  This happens whenever I try to edit a file (for example
/etc/apt/sources.list) or open gedit with root privileges. Application window
opens, characters are replaced by squares, and becomes impossible to drag or
resize it as my system completely stalls. Also if firefox is open, it also
becomes unresponsive and crashes.
  This screenshot summarises what i have been experiencing so far:
https://i.imgur.com/8R6vZhE.jpg
  Additionally, it also happens with nautilus.

  Package: gedit 3.28.1-1ubuntu1.2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Sep 29 19:34:14 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: gedit
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-08-21 (403 days ago)