The extension ID is supposed to be unique. It is a serious bug if NG is
using the same extension ID as an existing extension. I imagine the
maintainers of extensions.gnome.org would remove an extension for that
issue if it was reported. Until that bug is fixed, I don't think Ubuntu
has any responsibility to attempt to block the broken extension.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Desktop Icons NG shell extension breaks Activities vew

  Invalid

Bug description:
  First reported here https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/installing-just-
  one-extension-makes-ubuntu-eoan-to-fail/12816

  Steps

  1. I tried first to disabled default Desktop Icons extension(1)
  2. I installed "Desktop Icons NG" from
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2087/desktop-icons-ng-ding/
  3. Tested the extension was properly working (DnD, open folders) OK
  4. Opened the Activity view: stuck in this view

  At this stage there is no way to exit from the activity view. Arrow keys work
fine for moving the selection on open window, search works fine as well, but
pressing Enter key does nothing, as well as clicking on the close window X does
not kill the windows.
  Logging out is the only way to recover, until Activity view is opened again.

  Reproduced on Eoan in a VM, while it is not reproducible on Fedora 29
  (currently I can't test the latest fedora, but the original report
  made more tests and it seems reproducible in Eoan only).

  This extension provides some more common features for desktop icons, so it is
likely to be installed more in the future.

  Note:
  1. The default desktop icons extension looks always disabled (GNOME tweaks
switch is off), even if it's actually working, so I just switched the
visibility of the icons off from default Desktop Icons settings. This very
likely did not disable the extension, but it's likely what a normal user would
do.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.34.0-1ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME