I don't have the graphical 'has closed unexpectedly' popups in my
environment, but I ran gdb, loaded /usr/bin/nm-connection-editor, and
reproduced the crash again. The output is the similar to the original
poster of this issue:

warning: Error reading shared library list entry at 0x6f20
[New Thread 0xb21bdb40 (LWP 4975)]
[New Thread 0xb19bcb40 (LWP 4976)]
[New Thread 0xb11bbb40 (LWP 4977)]
[New Thread 0xb09bab40 (LWP 4978)]
[New Thread 0xb01b9b40 (LWP 4979)]
warning: Error reading shared library list entry at 0xffffe4c0
warning: Error reading shared library list entry at 0xffffe7e0
[New Thread 0xaf989b40 (LWP 4980)]
[New Thread 0xaf188b40 (LWP 4981)]

Thread 1 "nm-connection-e" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xb7f8ab74 in modules_initialized (object=0x0, res=0xbdf6c8,
    user_data=0xbe31b8) at src/libnma/nma-cert-chooser-button.c:98
98      src/libnma/nma-cert-chooser-button.c: No such file or directory.
(gdb)

I did some searching and the issue is already captured in this Debian mailing
list: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=883965. The most recent
post (8 Apr 2018) pushes "network-manager-applet (1.8.10-3) unstable;
urgency=medium" which "Fixes a segfault when editing an existing connection".

Ubuntu 18.04 bionic currently has an older network-manager-applet,
1.8.10-2ubuntu2. Can we please update to 1.8.10-3 in order to fix this
issue?

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #883965

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  nm-connection-editor crashes when trying to modify connection

Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu:

  Thread 1 "nm-connection-e" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.

  0x00007ffff7ba6b53 in modules_initialized (object=<optimised out>,
res=0x555556048a40, user_data=<optimised out>) at
src/libnma/nma-cert-chooser-button.c:98
  98      src/libnma/nma-cert-chooser-button.c: No such file or directory.

  This occurs when the package "gnome-keyring" is not installed.