I've cross-posted this issue in the related tools since it's unclear
which one causes it, but it's severe enough to make it worth triaging
it.

https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/8296
https://github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k/issues/280

** Bug watch added: github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues #8296
   https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/8296

** Bug watch added: github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k/issues #280
   https://github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k/issues/280

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-keyring in Ubuntu.

  ZSH shells break Login screen

Status in gnome-keyring package in Ubuntu:

  There's a bug that affects gnome-keyring, and i'll describe the steps i've
done to reproduce it twice, although i don't have
  full details as to what exactly is causing it.

  Issue can be summarized as follows:

  On Ubuntu 19.10, but not at least 18.04 (another computer i have using
  the older release), there's an issue that prevents the user to login
  to a gnome session

  The issue shows up when checking the session manager:

  ```
  service gdm3 status
  Process: ExecStartPre: /usr/share/gdm/generate-config
(code=exited,status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: ExecStartPre: /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-wait-for-drm
(code=exited,status=0/SUCCESS)

  gdm-password: gkr-pam: unable to local control file
  ```

  Relevant components:

    * gdm3 3.34.1-1
    * gnome-shell 3.34.1-1
    * gnome-keyring 3.34.0-1
    * zsh 5.77.1-ubuntu2

  This does not occur on a fresh installation of Ubuntu. It only happens
  once some of these tools are installed:

    * zsh (ubuntu package https://packages.ubuntu.com/eoan/zsh , manually
change shell for user) -
https://askubuntu.com/questions/131823/how-to-make-zsh-the-default-shell
        * oh-my-zsh  (brings in lots of plugins, although only git was sourced)
- https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/wiki/Installing-ZSH
        * powerlevel10k  (shell theme ) -
https://github.com/romkatv/powerlevel10k

  The tools would appear to work fine, until you reboot the machine, and
  are asked to login, at which point gkr-pam complains that it can't
  locate control file.

  Unfortunately i don't have better details because eventually i broke
  so much my login that i decided to reinstall the system from scratch.

  Upon installation, i started from fresh, with no zsh, and everything
  worked. Once zsh was installed, it will no longer work.

  A fix for this was to revert to bash shell.

  The key change was to no include this line at the top of .bashrc

  ```
  #exec zsh
  ```

  So i can confirm the issue is there, but that's as far as i got after
  several hours of investigations.

  I appreciate that this bug may not be a gnome-keyring specific bug,
  but seems that its the one been affected anyways.

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-keyring/issues/28
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-keyring/issues/26

  https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-keyring/blob/master/pam/gkr-pam-module.c#L676
  https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-keyring/blob/master/pam/gkr-pam-module.c#L847