I did all those things before I even desperately called for help.
safe mode, refresh, new profile and so on.
the only change in safe mode was faster start-up. and then the freeze again.
Now I did downgrade as you suggested - was much better then I updateD again (
update-manager was nagging me -:) ) .
Today the 70th version came up and so far for few hours I have my beloved
Firefox and Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
back to normal.
Hopefully ...Is it OK  to wait few days more before closing it, to be sure all
is really well?

Thanks a lot,
Paz

  Latest Firefox update freezing my system

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  The latest updates of firefox renders my machine useless. I'm sending
  it as is hopefully before it freezes completely.

  Package: firefox 69.0+build2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
  Uname: Linux 4.15.0-62-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: i386
  BuildID: 20190828152935
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Sep 20 01:22:17 2019
  DefaultProfileExtensions: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfileIncompatibleExtensions: Unavailable (corrupt or non-existant
compatibility.ini or extensions.sqlite)
  DefaultProfileLocales: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  DefaultProfilePrefErrors: Unexpected character ',' before close parenthesis @
/usr/lib/firefox/omni.ja:greprefs.js:997
  DefaultProfileThemes: extensions.sqlite corrupt or missing
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release i386 (20170412)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  Profiles:
   Profile1 (Default) - LastVersion=None/None (Out of date)
   Profile0 - LastVersion=69.0/20190828152935 (In use)
  SourcePackage: firefox