Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. This particular bug has already been reported and is a
duplicate of bug 505765, so it is being marked as such. Please look at
the other bug report to see if there is any missing information that you
can provide, or to see if there is a workaround for the bug.
Additionally, any further discussion regarding the bug should occur in
the other report.

Feel free to continue to report any other bugs you may find.

   gedit problem with long lines

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  gedit freezes when opening PHP file with long lines

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  Steps:
  * Download
https://github.com/vrana/adminer/releases/download/v4.7.4/adminer-4.7.4.php
(485 kB)
  * Open it in gedit

  Expected result:
  * It takes a few seconds. E.g. in Visual Studio Code editor it takes max 10
sec

  Actual result:
  * File isn't open even in a few minutes
  * I'm only getting a dialog "Text Editor not responding" with the buttons
"Wait" and "Force quit".
  * Unfortunately neither "Wait" or "Force Quit" is working and Gnome stops
responding, so I have to switch to text console by Ctrl + Alt + F4 and kill the
gedit process. But then often when I switch back to Gnome desktop, it's still
not responding (e.g. neither clicking to any application nor keyboard is
working) and I have to restart OS.

  Used SW:
  * Ubuntu 19.10
  * gedit 3.34.0-1