I suspect this is because the speech API isn't enabled for the API key used by
chromium.
The terms of service wouldn't allow us to enable it for anything but
development purposes (https://console.developers.google.com/tos?id=speech).

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] Google Search via Microphone says No Internet Connection

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  In Ubuntu 19.10, I have Chromium installed via this snap package:
  sudo snap install chromium

  With a working internet connect, if I attempt to search google, using
  the microphone-icon (on the right-side of the google search box), it
  says I do not have an internet connection.

  Video: https://youtu.be/pNDKydvUL74