It is unclear if this is still an issue or not, but seeing as there
haven't been complaints in recent years, I will assume this has either
been worked around or fixed. So for now I'll resolve it.

If this is still an issue, I'm happy to talk about options to resolve
it.

  default search engines are removed and readded (keywords wiped) with
  upgrade

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Invalid
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox-3.5

  I updated Karmic, which included upgrading Firefox from 3.5.2 to
  3.5.3. I previously had the keyword 'w' set for the Wikipedia search.
  It appears that all the default search engines have been removed and
  added again to the bottom of the list of search engines, without
  keywords. This means I've had to add back keywords for default search
  engines I use, and remove all the default search engines I had
  previously removed (eg. amazon, ebay, etc).

  The same situation occurs when upgrading from firefox-3.0 to
  firefox-3.5.

  Steps to reproduce:
  0) Install both firefox-3.0 and firefox-3.5. Move away ~/.mozilla so that you
start with a fresh profile.
  1) Run firefox-3.0. In 'Manage Search Engines', add keywords to some, and
remove others. Close firefox-3.0.
  2) Run firefox-3.5. Check 'Manage Search Engines'.

  What should happen:
  Search engines are the same as they were with firefox-3.0

  What actually happens:
  Default search engines have keywords wiped, and previously removed search
engines have been added again.