I don't think Compiz is relevant here.  My computer isn't running Compiz
— its display manager is GDM3 as best I can tell.  (ri...@richw.org, the
original reporter of this bug)

** Package changed: compiz (Ubuntu) => gdm3 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm3 in Ubuntu.

  Windows move to different monitor when multiple monitors turned off
  and back on

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 19.10, gdm3 3.34.1-1ubuntu1, cinnamon 4.0.10-2, cinnamon-
  screensaver 4.0.3-1, nvidia-driver 435.21-0ubuntu2.

  I have a TV set connected to my computer as a second monitor (for
  displaying YouTube videos, etc.).

  When I turn off both my main monitor and the TV for the night, and
  turn them back on in the morning, I often find that the windows I had
  left open on the main monitor (email, browser, xterm, etc.) have moved
  from the main monitor to the TV and need to be moved back individually
  to the main monitor (via the "move to the other monitor" function on
  the taskbar icons).

  This doesn't always happen -- sometimes the windows show up on the
  main monitor where I left them the night before, and sometimes not.
  Maybe 50-50, one way or the other.

  The main monitor is configured (in the Display settings) as the
  primary monitor, and the taskbar panel remains on the main monitor --
  and when I wake up the screen saver to unlock it, the password
  dialogue always shows up on the main monitor -- but the windows may
  end up on either device after I've unlocked.

  It doesn't appear to make any difference what order I turn the monitor
  and the TV off/on.  In particular, I've conscientiously turned off the
  TV before locking the screen and turning off the monitor, and then
  turned on the monitor and unlocked the screen before turning the TV
  back on, but the windows frequently still end up on the TV instead of
  the main monitor.

  I would like to somehow flag the windows so that they will stay put on
  my main monitor when I turn things off at night and turn them back on
  in the morning -- or, even better, I would like the windows to remain
  associated with the same device and not move around on their own.