This is bug #1616650, and it is being addressed by
https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/wip-refresh-app-awareness/10736. Until this
is the default in snapd, I suggest you do:

    snap set core experimental.refresh-app-awareness=true

This will prevent chromium (and any other snap) from updating while it's
running.

I have been testing this for over a month, and it seems to be working
well.

   snap refresh while command is running may cause issues

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  chromium-browser user data gets copied to per-snap-revision directory
  while chromium is running, leads to data loss and "chromium did not
  shut down correctly"

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  I noticed that after the switch to a snap in eoan, in a case where I
  knew I had manually shut down chromium cleanly, I got an error on
  restart saying that it had not been shut down cleanly.  Digging around
  on the filesystem led me to realize that a snap refresh had happened
  and the profile had been copied over while still in use.

  The unclean shutdown message is annoying but not critical.  More
  important is that this means any data written to the profile (cookies,
  passwords, etc) by the still-running instance of the old chromium,
  after the snap refresh, are not retained.