We are sorry that we do not always have the capacity to review all
reported bugs in a timely manner.

If this is still an issue using a maintained version of Thunderbird then
please let us know otherwise this report can be left to expire in
approximately 60 days time.

Paul White
[Ubuntu Bug Squad]

** Changed in: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  address autocomplete goes berserk when you type spanish characters

Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:

  You need a Spanish keyboard (this may happen with some other languages
  as well).

  1. Let's suppose you have a couple of contacts called John Smith and Steve
Johnson in your address book
  2. Open Thunderbird and click Write to compose a new message
  3. In the "To:" field start typing "jo"
  4. The autocomplete will show at least two possibilities: John Smith and
Steve Johnson, and possibly more if you have more contacts which match
  5. Now type a í or ú or ó or á. On a spanish keyboard, this is done by first
hitting the "´" key and then hitting the desired vowel key. I guess the issue
will exist with any character that is typed by hitting a sequence of keys

  Expected: the typed character (e.g. í) should appear, so you have
  typed "joí", so any autocomplete suggestions should disappear (unless
  you have any name starting with joí in your contacts)

  Observed: autocomplete automatically chooses "John Smith" as if you
  had hit the TAB or ENTER key.

  Note that the characters í, á, ó, etc work perfectly fine in my system
  and I can write them without issue, (even in Thunderbird when I am
  writing the body of the message) except for this issue.

  Strangely enough, this happens in most cases but not always. For
  example, I have a few contacts whose name start with "sa" (none of
  them with "saí"), but if I type "saí" it behaves as expected. However
  most examples I test do reproduce the issue. I haven't been able to
  narrow down the exact pattern.

  A real life example:
  I had to write to a person called Elías which I thought I had in the address
book but I didn't. In my address book I have a "Circuito Electrovisiones", a
few "Elena" and an "Elisabetta". So I typed "elí"... While typing "el" the
expected options appeared automatically in the list, but as soon as I got to
"elí" it immediately selected "Circuito Electrovisiones" (and added a í at the
end after the email address) which does not contain the "elí" pattern at all.

  Package: thunderbird 3.1.11+build2+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-30.54-generic 2.6.35.13
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-30-generic i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Mon Jul 18 19:32:08 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release i386 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash