I just said yes that it stays dark, and plugging them in did not seem to
"wake" it back up. The system does not appear to be properly entering
ACPI sleep, just that the screen is "black" (but I can still see the
back light through the LCD matrices).

  Monitors keep turning on when in power saving mode, every time.

  Whenever I lock my computer, or it goes into power saving mode
  automatically, the monitors turn back on and show the lock screen a
  few seconds later. This has persisted now for about a year, has
  persisted across multiple upgrades (18.10, 19.04, 19.10) as well as
  complete hardware replacement (CPU intel -> AMD, GPU nVidia -> AMD).
  So I'm convinced this is a software bug.

  The first line in logging that I can find that seems to trigger this
  is:

  "gnome-shell[1967]: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:2647: instance
  '0x55daa50a2920' has no handler with id '145952'"

  I update my system regularly, so this looks to either be a regression,
  or uncaught bug. I don't know if other things are causing this, but
  that's the first line (based on time) that is reported when it turns
  the monitors back on.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.34.1-1ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Mon Nov 11 09:40:42 2019
  DisplayManager: gdm3
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  RelatedPackageVersions: mutter-common 3.34.1-1ubuntu1
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to eoan on 2019-11-05 (5 days ago)