Good news for everyone but me! This is a feature/imperfection in the
design of my Dell U2413 monitors. The "bug" does not occur on any other
screen that I can find.

The problem I am seeing on the Dell U2413s is called LCD Response Time
Compensation (RTC) or just "overdrive". It is a technique used to avoid
ghosting but means the LCD very briefly switches to the wrong colour
level as shown in the attached measurement from an actual Dell U2413.

Article about my problematic monitors:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm#gaming

A handy web site for testing the various modes of your monitor:
https://www.testufo.com/eyetracking

** Attachment added: "50-255.png"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/yaru-theme/+bug/1846447/+attachment/5311278/+files/50-255.png

** Changed in: ubuntu-ux

** Changed in: yaru-theme (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to yaru-theme in Ubuntu.

  Selection flickers to dark grey each time it moves instead of using
  the same light grey

Status in Ubuntu UX:
  Invalid
Status in yaru-theme package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Selection flickers to dark grey each time it moves instead of using
  the same light grey. You can see this (only just) when moving the
  mouse over the gnome-shell calendar, or in the system menu. This makes
  the GUI feel more stuttery than it really is. And once you finally see
  the problem it cannot be unseen.

  I think this is a historical design choice given that the same issue
  was visible in Unity back in to 2016 (bug 1545945).

  Affects: yaru-theme-gnome-shell and yaru-theme-gtk

  Package: yaru-theme-gnome-shell 19.10.4
  Date: Thu Oct  3 13:53:20 2019
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan EANIMAL" - Alpha amd64 (20190501)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: yaru-theme