Ok, so I was looking for an option like that but could not find it in
any documentation. Just to add I was printing .ps targets from Argyll's
targen / printarg / chartread / colprof workflow with:

lp target.ps

I did some more test prints and have attached the results again.

The -o cm-calibration=1 option does seem to turn off calibration from
"Device Colour Profiles" but the "color correction setting" in CUPS
still has an effect on print output, quite noticeable on a couple of
targets which go from orange to purple.

I am going to create two profiles from targets printed with the -o cm-
calibration=1 option with:

  a).   Device Colour Profiles cms ON and a profile loaded, but Cups
colour correction set to High Accuracy.

  b).   Device Colour Profiles cms ON and a profile loaded, but Cups
colour correction set to Uncorrected.

Hopefully I will then be able to asses the best way forward.

** Attachment added: "printer output and screenshots"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-control-center/+bug/1855615/+attachment/5312322/+files/printer%20output%20pictures%202.zip

  Device colour profiles - on / off button not working Ubuntu 18.04.3LTS

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I've been trying to calibrate my printer in Ubuntu 18.04.3LTS with
gnome-control-center:
    Installed: 1:3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.5
    Candidate: 1:3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.5
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.28.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.5 500

  The least documented part of printer profiling is printing the target. Every
guide says turn off printer profile calibration, but no-one tells you how.
  Through trial, error and a lot of paper and ink it seems to me as though the
on / off button next to the printer description does nothing.
  If the user deletes all existing profiles the field reads Not calibrated and
no button is displayed, though on a reboot this changes to a button showing
colour management (CMS) on and two default profiles are displayed (default RGB
and default grey) with RGB selected. The output of these two states is
identical. If the setting is default RGB profile with no others loaded, then
changing Cups in a browser to Colour Correction: uncorrected refreshes the
state to Not Calibrated, though this is the only time I could force this.
Setting Cups to Colour Correction: high accuracy does result in an altered
output from the printer. I am guessing this is no colour profiling being
applied.
  However if Cups Colour Correction: uncorrected is set, and a profile is
loaded in Device Colour Profiles the output from the printer is the same
whether or not the CMS on /off button is pressed. I think this is the result of
the profile applied by Device Colour Profiles in either case.
  Similarly, using Cups Colour Correction: High Accuracy and a profile loaded
in Device Colour Profiles, the printer output is the same whether or not the
CMS on /off button is pressed, though the output is different from the
preceding example. I presume this is the result of two colour transformations
being carried out.
  The attached images of my printer output should hopefully help explain this
situation.