This hit me on 18.04 and did kill my saturday morning - thank you very
much.

Also a BIG THANK YOU to Graham Smith for pointing out why this bug
exists - it is very important to take the role of the one that tells the
truth even when it hurts sometimes. It is of course possible to write
more softly, but sometimes it is needed to point out that something is
really a bad idea if it is a really bad idea.

It would be interesting to read why SourceStam was not used here and why
was that BuildID implemented?

Also this shows how important it is to better test migration from old
systems to newer releases - I have the impression that this area is
lacking serious efforts.

  Firefox 67 in Ubuntu 18.10 thinks it's an older version

Status in Mozilla Firefox:
  Won't Fix
Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  Today I installed the Firefox 67 update on Ubuntu 18.04, then updated
  to Ubuntu 18.10. After this, launching Firefox gave me a "Using an
  older version of Firefox" message with only two options: create a new
  profile or quit.

  Apparently the Firefox 67 build for 18.10 thinks it's an older version
  than the Firefox 67 build for 18.04.

  For now I worked around the issue by manually installing the Firefox
  67 build for Ubuntu 18.04, which did load the existing user profile
  correctly.