Note that a selection's content is not stored in the clipboard (unless
LibreOffice is exited) but upon pasting the target asks for the
available formats and picks the best offered, that in this case should
be the internal Calc format, which then would be transferred from source
to target, but somehow here instead it gets a bitmap/image from the
clipboard "manager" (apparently).

> However, LibreOffice does seem to be doing something strange in its type
> requests from the clipboard (stand by for a comment from a colleague with
> more mutter knowledge), so I suspect there may be fault on both ends here.
So what would that "doing something strange" be?

  [X11] copy/paste (clipboard) is broken in Ubuntu 19.10

Status in LibreOffice:
  Confirmed
Status in Mutter:
  New
Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in libreoffice source package in Eoan:
  Triaged
Status in mutter source package in Eoan:

  I'm running LibreOffice 6.3.2.2 on Ubuntu 19.10.

  In this environment, copy/cut/paste often fails.  Specifically, the
  paste command sometimes does not paste the text that was cut/copied
  most recently.  Instead, it pastes text that was cut/copied at some
  prior time.

  I use LibreOffice Writer a lot, and I now see this problem very often,
  i.e. many times every day.

  There is some discussion of the problem here:

     https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/213510/copypaste-issues-
  libreoffice-calc/

  Several posters there say that they are also using Ubuntu 19.10.

  Ubuntu 19.10 includes Mutter 3.34, which has a new clipboard manager:

     https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-3.34
  -Clipboard-Manager

  It seems like that could be related.