I had/have similar issue as "resolved" in comment #25:

Initially, after building and installing version 0.8.09, I would try
duplicity --version
and get
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/duplicity", line 55, in <module>
    from duplicity.dup_main import main
ImportError: No module named 'duplicity'

I came upon this bug, saw comment #25 where it was suggested to change
the shebang to 'python3'. I checked, and mine was ALREADY saying 'python3', but
I changed it to 'python2' and then
duplicity --version responds correctly with
duplicity 0.8.09

If it helps, one of the first messages from running
$ sudo python setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
is
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/setuptools/dist.py:333: UserWarning:
Normalizing '0.8.09' to '0.8.9'
  normalized_version,

So it appears to be using python2 (2.7, to be exact) "during the build"?

Let me know if you'd like another bug open, or if there already is one to
improve build scripts?
OR, better yet, maybe your "fix" was a fix for 0.8.10 and it has already been
taken care of?

Thanks,

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  Duplicity fails to start

Status in Duplicity:
  Fix Released
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  I am on 19.10.  Duplicity crashes as soon as I try to start a backup,
  as below. It was running fine on 19.04.

  Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 107, in <module>
      with_tempdir(main)
    File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 93, in with_tempdir
      fn()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/dup_main.py", line 1522, in
main
      action = commandline.ProcessCommandLine(sys.argv[1:])
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/commandline.py", line 1200,
in ProcessCommandLine
      globals.backend = backend.get_backend(args[0])
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 225, in
get_backend
      obj = get_backend_object(url_string)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backend.py", line 211, in
get_backend_object
      return factory(pu)
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py",
line 81, in __init__
      ensure_dbus()
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/giobackend.py",
line 37, in ensure_dbus
      lines = output.split(u'\n')
   TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'