This is resolved in appstream >= 0.12.10-1

** Changed in: appstream (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to appstream in Ubuntu.

  dpkg error when triggers are activated

Status in appstream package in Ubuntu:

  The following message, or something like it, is output when an update
  to appstream is done on 19.10:

  dpkg: error: version '/usr/share/app-info/yaml /usr/share/app-info/icons' has
ba
  d syntax: version string has embedded spaces

  This appears to be caused by this line in the appstream.postinst:

  if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" ge-nl "0.12.8"; then

  This gets called when the registered triggers are activated:

  interest-noawait /usr/share/app-info/icons
  interest-noawait /usr/share/app-info/yaml
  interest-noawait /usr/share/app-info/xml

  I recommend checking in the postinst if we are handling a trigger and
  avoiding the dpkg version comparison