I want to add further comment.  I am not sure I have the authority to change
the status from invalid to confirmed but it is clear several people are
affected by this and this bug is also reported elsewhere where the transparent
background is affecting gedit/text editor and system monitor.  This bug is very
old and needs to be addressed.
In desperation I have found that going into gnome tweaks and changing
appearance to something other than Ambience or Radiance fixes it but gives you
a very stark working environment.  I am using adwaita (default) and that works
but hurts the eyes.  Also noticeable is that in text editor and calculator (and
maybe other affected programs) the 'X' button at the top right has a bell-like
symbol superimposed on it when this workaround is used.

** Attachment added: "Settings that work for me"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-calculator/+bug/1767541/+attachment/5321429/+files/Screenshot%20from%202020-01-18%2015-39-12.png

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-calculator in Ubuntu.

  Transparent background of calculator in ubuntu 18.04 using
  communitheme

Status in gnome-calculator package in Ubuntu:

  It also happen in system monitor

  Package: gnome-calculator (not installed)
  CurrentDesktop: communitheme:ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Apr 28 08:34:55 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>