Public bug reported:

Ubuntu 18.04.4, LibreOffice 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10 (all i386, not
amd64, also without JRE to avoid crashes on LP:1699772)

We received some files with .doc extension which actually were in RTF format
(as 'file' showed)
When we tried to open these files, lowriter crashed every time.
Abiword opened the same files fine. Probably it detects their type by content,
not only by extension.
For LO, the cure was to rename them manually from .doc into .rtf, then lowriter
could also open them without crashing.
Probably some Abiword logic of file type detection should be borrowed into LO
to improve user's convenience.
Later today I will add my results from LO 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu1 which I test on my
home system as a part of upcoming Ubuntu 20.04

** Affects: libreoffice (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

- Ubuntu 18.04.4, LibreOffice 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10
+ Ubuntu 18.04.4, LibreOffice 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10 (all i386. not
+ amd64, also without JDK to avoid crashes on LP:1699772)

[...]

  opening .rtf file renamed with .doc extension crashes lowriter

Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu: