This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Switching sound from speakers to headphones by (un)plugging headphones
  not working

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  This bug seems identical to Bug #998315 ("sounds to both headphones
  and speakers at same time"), but the bug reporting instructions for
  sound problem said I should better report a new bug if I am on
  different hardware, which I am.

  On all Ubuntu versions I ran before on the same hardware, I never had
  this problem. Last distribution I used was 11.04 (I skipped 11.10, now
  I am on 12.04). This was a clean install, no upgrade.

  On those previous versions, I could simply switch the audio output
  from speakers to headphones and back by plugging resp. unplugging the
  headphones. This no longer works in 12.04, but the behavior depends on
  whether the headphones are plugged in during boot or not.

  Phones plugged during boot: Sound is on headphones when plugged in. No sound
when unplugged.
  Phones not plugged during boot: Sound is on speakers when no headphones are
plugged. Sound on both headphones and speakers when plugging headphones.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  jan        1755 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   jan        1755 F...m pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'SB'/'HDA ATI SB at 0xf0a00000 irq 16'
     Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC888'
     Components : 'HDA:10ec0888,1734113e,00100202'
     Controls      : 34
     Simple ctrls  : 19
  Card1.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:1 'HDMI'/'HDA ATI HDMI at 0x9fbfc000 irq 46'
     Mixer name : 'ATI R6xx HDMI'
     Components : 'HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100000'
     Controls      : 0
     Simple ctrls  : 0
  Card1.Amixer.values:

  Date: Sat May 26 18:34:26 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:SB successful
  Symptom_Card: Eingebautes Audio - HDA ATI SB
  Symptom_Jack: Green Headphone Out, Rear
  Symptom_PulsePlaybackTest: PulseAudio playback test successful
  Symptom_Type: None of the above
  Title: [AMILO Notebook Sa 3650, Realtek ALC888, Green Headphone Out, Rear]
Playback problem
  dmi.bios.date: 03/25/2009
  dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
  dmi.bios.version: V1.05
  dmi.board.name: S13
  dmi.board.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
  dmi.board.version: 1B
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS
  dmi.chassis.version: A2040
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologiesLTD:bvrV1.05:bd03/25/2009:svnFUJITSUSIEMENS:pnAMILONotebookSa3650:pvr10600950920:rvnFUJITSUSIEMENS:rnS13:rvr1B:cvnFUJITSUSIEMENS:ct10:cvrA2040:
  dmi.product.name: AMILO Notebook Sa 3650
  dmi.product.version: 10600950920
  dmi.sys.vendor: FUJITSU SIEMENS