This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  only digital audio available on HDA device when analogue wanted

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  All of a sudden and for no apparent reason I have found pulseaudio
  connecting to the digital rather than analogue audio I/O when it
  starts. When I open alsamixer it appears that digital is all that is
  available. This doesn't happen every time, so logging out, killing
  pulseaudio, removing and reloading the snd-hda-intel module, and then
  logging back in again, usually puts it right.

  What should happen is that the inputs and outputs that you want to use
  for your sound card should be the ones that are made available and
  selected. Always.

  I should mention, just in case there is some connection, that my KDE
  startup has started failing at around the same time. What happens is
  that many of my autostart scripts and applications don't start. A
  third thing that has started recently has been that Flash and Skype
  both seem to be disconnecting themselves from Pulseaudio very
  frequently, requiring them to be killed and restarted.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.23+dfsg-1ubuntu4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.33-29-realtime x86_64
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
  Architecture: amd64
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xfe100000 irq 31'
     Mixer name : 'Conexant CX20549 (Venice)'
     Components : 'HDA:14f15045,17aa20db,00100100'
     Controls      : 19
     Simple ctrls  : 9
  Card1.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:1 'UA1EX'/'EDIROL UA-1EX at usb-0000:00:1d.0-1, full speed'
     Mixer name : ''
     Components : 'USB0582:0096'
     Controls      : 0
     Simple ctrls  : 0
  Card1.Amixer.values:

  Card29.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:29 'ThinkPadEC'/'ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw
7KHT22WW-1.06'
     Mixer name : 'ThinkPad EC 7KHT22WW-1.06'
     Components : ''
     Controls      : 1
     Simple ctrls  : 1
  Card29.Amixer.values:
   Simple mixer control 'Console',0
     Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
     Playback channels: Mono
     Mono: Playback [on]
  Date: Tue Feb 22 11:15:24 2011
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" - Release amd64 (20091027)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB
   LANG=en_GB.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  dmi.bios.date: 06/28/2007
  dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.bios.version: 7OET24WW (1.03 )
  dmi.board.name: 8932A11
  dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.board.version: Not Available
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Information
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
  dmi.chassis.version: Not Available
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvr7OET24WW(1.03):bd06/28/2007:svnLENOVO:pn8932A11:pvrThinkPadR61/R61i:rvnLENOVO:rn8932A11:rvrNotAvailable:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNotAvailable:
  dmi.product.name: 8932A11
  dmi.product.version: ThinkPad R61/R61i
  dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO