This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  DAC 0 and DAC 1 muted by default on M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (ICE1712,
  Envy24)

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  After a fresh install of Ubuntu Natty (11.04), my M-Audio Audiophile
  2496 sound card appears to be detected but is not emitting sound.

  I attempted to follow the instructions on the Sound Troubleshooting
  page of the Community Ubuntu Documentation site:

  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

  but got stuck at the point where "sound card codecs" are discussed.
  It seems from the lack of a "codec information" section in the alsa-
  info.sh output that a codec is not actually being loaded.

  Launchpad reports bug #178442 as a possible duplicate, however that
  bug report states that a fix has been released for 11.04.  I suspect
  that that fix cannot be relevant in my case as all of my packages are
  up to date and my problem persists.  That bug report also seems to
  focus on PulseAudio, and I don't have the expertise to know whether
  PulseAudio is actually the problem for me.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.24+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
  AplayDevices:
   card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
     Subdevices: 1/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  lx         1714 F.... pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'M2496'/'M Audio Audiophile 24/96 at 0xd000, irq 19'
     Mixer name : 'ICE1712 - multitrack'
     Components : ''
     Controls      : 48
     Simple ctrls  : 26
  Date: Sun May  1 18:13:59 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64 (20110427.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  dmi.bios.date: 07/18/2008
  dmi.bios.vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: F4
  dmi.board.name: EP31-DS3L
  dmi.board.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.board.version: x.x
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAwardSoftwareInternational,Inc.:bvrF4:bd07/18/2008:svnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:pnEP31-DS3L:pvr:rvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:rnEP31-DS3L:rvrx.x:cvnGigabyteTechnologyCo.,Ltd.:ct3:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: EP31-DS3L
  dmi.sys.vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.