This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
know.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  P5KPL Sound card distorced sound with ALSA

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  Hello everyone,
  I am experiencing a bug that I never had before with alsa.

  Since one year I was using Arch Linux instead of Ubuntu (I love ubuntu
  but the bolt and the outdated packages... no for me), and all work,
  but when I update to Gnome3 I was experiencing a but with the sound
  applet. When I use the keyboard shortcut to level up the sound,
  instead of stopping at 100% the sound continues and the 100% is the
  100%+14db boost.

  That had as effect to distorted the sound, and turning all the sound
  incompressible. So, because I didn't had the time to solve and I
  really want to come back to Unity again (I can't leave without it
  :S)... I was happy to not see the bug (because of the Gnome2 base).

  But since yesterday, I am experiencing the same bug, but in another
  way.

  Let me explain, when using the shortcut of the keyboard to control the
  sound, and go to the maximum of the bar, if I look at the sound applet
  I really see 100% so thats good... but if I launch alsamixer I see
  that he is using 100%+14db... and to have a good sound I have the put
  the Master at -40.25db.

  My english is horrible, so for you to understand clearly what I am
  talking about I made some pictures of my Ubuntu (PS : I have the same
  Ubuntu 11.04 in my Asus 1215N and the bug don't exist in there... the
  100% for the Master (in alsamixer) is 0db (and not +14db), and the
  minimum is -65.25db (and not -40.25db).

  Sound at 0% :
  http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/6564/soundat0.png

  Sound without Amplification :
  http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4599/soundwithnoampli.png

  Sound at 100% - Boost:
  http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3722/soundwith100percent.png

  Sound with 100% + Boost:
  http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4371/soundboostactivated.png

  Thanks in Advance,
  Luis Da Costa

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.24+dfsg-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.47-generic 2.6.38.8
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-11-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices:
   **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
     Subdevices: 2/2
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
     Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  aliasbody   1446 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   aliasbody   1446 F...m pulseaudio
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xf9ffc000 irq 44'
     Mixer name : 'VIA VT1708B 8-Ch'
     Components : 'HDA:1106e721,104382ea,00100100'
     Controls      : 35
     Simple ctrls  : 19
  Date: Sat Jul 30 15:10:11 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" - Release amd64 (20110427.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=pt_PT:pt_BR:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  dmi.bios.date: 08/20/2010
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 0603
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: P5KPL-AM
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  dmi.board.version: x.xx
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr0603:bd08/20/2010:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKComputerINC.:rnP5KPL-AM:rvrx.xx:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer