The error messages “Import failed: Fatal: can't create directory
'/home/username/~/.gnupg': No such file or directory” and "Couldn't generate
PGP key" only come for me when trying to import or create a key from
LibreOffice Writer Version: 6.0.7.3, Build ID: 1:6.0.7-0ubuntu0.18.04.10
I am using Ubuntu Version: 18.04.4 LTS (Bionic Beaver)

>From LibreOffice:
File -> Digital Signatures ->  Digital Signatures …
Create a new GPG Key ends with: "Couldn't generate PGP key"
Import an existing GPG Key ends with: “Import failed: Fatal: can't create
directory '/home/username/~/.gnupg': No such file or directory”

When started from LibreOffice Writer there is no GPG key available. But I
already created one GPG Key that is available when I start from the
applications manager.

>From the application’s manager.

I can easily create and export a new GPG key when I start the
application from the Applications manager. And the created GPG keys are
visible in the GUI

Packages, which is subscribed to seahorse in Ubuntu.

  problem importing gpg keys "Fatal: can't create directory
  '/home/hazrpg/~/.gnupg': No such file or directory

Status in seahorse package in Ubuntu:

  There is a problem when importing a GPG private key from a backup, the
  error message says the File or Directory does not exist - and it looks
  like its because of the way it's trying to access it.

  Here's the exact error (verbose as its displayed):

  Import failed: Fatal: can't create directory '/home/hazrpg/~/.gnupg':
  No such file or directory

  It looks like its trying to access ~/.gnupg and at the same time
  trying to put that in the /home/hazrpg/ directory (hazrpg being my
  username). It should be one or the other, so its probably a simple
  fix.

  Steps to reproduce:

  1) Open up seahorse.
  2) Click on "File" -> "Import...".
  3) Select any valid GPG key file (public, private, etc).
  4) Verify its valid with the "Data to be imported:" section and then click on
"Import".
  5) Error message shows in red below the "Data to be imported:" section with
the above message.

  Package: seahorse 3.20.0-5
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.9
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Nov 12 11:38:18 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  SourcePackage: seahorse