The issue seem to appear when multiple fonts can provide the emojis.
What seems to me is that the noto-color-emojis are not necessarily the
first in the list. I had for exaple other font-noto packages and they
were hiding the color emojis. I removed all the others and now I can see
the color ones again.

The fact that user fonts have priority over system fonts is the reason
for why the previous workaround works. However, in order to fix this
bug, we need to think first, what should be fixed?

Option 1: the issue is just that the user is unaware -> keep the current
behaviour and eventually find a way to inform the user of what font has
the highest priority to provide emojis, possibly at install time. (This
should be possible, given that Chrome does this)

Option 2: the issue is the mechanism -> we could have some configuration
for a default emoji-provider, and have it handled with update-
alternatives, the same way one can set the vanilla or ubuntu or pop gdm
theme.

Packages, which is subscribed to fonts-noto-color-emoji in Ubuntu.

  fonts-noto-color-emoji not making pretty emojis in google chrome

Status in fonts-noto-color-emoji package in Ubuntu:

  Google-Chrome and emoji's is being a weird headache. Something's causing it
not to find the right font to make emoji's:

"[13743:1:0115/225907.016533:ERROR:child_process_sandbox_support_impl_linux.cc(79)]
 FontService unique font name matching request did not receive a response.