It doesn't matter if it's installed by default, you need to specifically
configure X to use it. The default is modesetting_drv.so.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  xserver-xorg-video-intel causes screen flickering in plasma on XPS 15
  7590

Status in xserver-xorg-video-intel package in Ubuntu:

  I have been experiencing screen flickering related to the compositor
  in KDE / Plasma on Ubuntu 19.10 on my Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop.

  I found the same problem +  a solution here:
  https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/f7itw4/plasma_flickering_neonkubuntu/

  It turns out that even though I do have Intel chip (IGP on Core
  i7-9775H) using the Intel driver i915, the package xserver-xorg-video-
  intel doesn't seem to be required and does cause screen flickering.

  Removing this package as suggested on reddit fixes the flickering
  issue for me and so far I didn't seen any negative side effects - all
  3D rendering still works.

  Either xorg-video-intel package should be solved to not cause
  flickering (and have effects where it is not needed) or it shouldn't
  be installed by default.