Thanks for the screencast. I think I see what you mean. I feared it was
the video playback that was lagging, but it's just the fullscreen
transition itself. I can confirm the problem here, although it's
slightly faster on my machine. That said, firefox seems to suffer from
the same problem here.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Switching playing youtube video to full-screen mode and to default
  mode lag on Chromium

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  The switching of a playing youtube video to fullscreen mode and also
  from fullscreen mode to normal mode lags.

  Ubuntu version: 19:10
  Chromium version: 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) snap (64-bit)

  Steps to reproduce
  1. Launch Chromium and open Youtube.
  2. Select/search for a video and play.
  3. Switch the playing video to full-screen mode and back to normal view.

  When playing a video using chromium the switch to full-screen mode and
  back is expected to be smooth but instead, the switching is laggy.