Leaving the trash and then returning to it, or closing the nautilus
window and then reopening it resolves the issue.

  Nautilus stuck "Preparing" something even though I already emptied the
  trash and no operations are actually happening

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  For some reason, even when no file operations are happening, nautilus
  displays the button with the circle, and when I click on it, it is
  stick on "Preparing", and this happens even after I delete the trash.

  The circular progress button remains and says "preparing" when nothing
  is actually happening at all.

  Luckily, I am able to cancel it, but it just says "Canceled" without
  telling me what actually canceled.

  In short, this issue occurs when emptying the trash. Nautilus says
  preparing, but instead of telling the user it is emptying the trash,
  only the text "Preparing" appears, and the dialogue remains for
  minutes even after the preparation is canceled and/or the trash
  emptying finishes.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.36.1.1-1ubuntu2
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  Date: Sun Apr 26 11:31:06 2020
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: nautilus
  usr_lib_nautilus:
  ---
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  Package: nautilus 1:3.36.1.1-1ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  Tags:  focal
  UserGroups:

  _MarkForUpload: True
  usr_lib_nautilus:
  ---
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 20.04
  GsettingsChanges:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  Package: nautilus 1:3.36.1.1-1ubuntu2
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
  Tags:  focal
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True
  usr_lib_nautilus: