This machine has gone through all successive upgrades of all versions
(not just LTS) since 2014. This is probably some incompatibility between
some version of the Unity and Gnome. Is it possible that Unity used this
as a way to hide users from the login screen? I believe I remember
having that as an option at some point.

  No users appear in settings

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  1. Open the gnome control center
  2. Click on "users"
  3. See that there are no users (see attached screenshot). The message says
"No Ussers Found", "Unlock to add a user account."

  There is no button to unlock.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.36.1-1ubuntu5
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME