I'm also seeing that issue here using Ubuntu 20.04 (Adwaita icon theme)
and Kubuntu 20.04 (Breeze icon theme). When switching to the Yaru icon
theme fully legible icons are displayed in Ubuntu.

A quick test, which might not be totally accurate, shows me that only by
selecting Yaru are these icons displayed correctly.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] Icons in file picker are corrupted

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  See the attached picture. This happens in bionic.