I tested eog version 3.36.2-0ubuntu1 from focal-proposed:
I can confirm that this version fixes the problem. I can now open HEIF/HEIC
files again. Opening JPEG and PNG files also still works.

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-focal
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-focal

Packages, which is subscribed to eog in Ubuntu.

  3.36.2 update include fix for custom loaders

Status in Eye of GNOME:
  Unknown
Status in eog package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in eog source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  * Impact
  That's the current GNOME stable update, including some fixes and translation
updates
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/eog/-/blob/gnome-3-36/NEWS

  * Test case

  The update is part of GNOME stable updates
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates/GNOME

  Check that opening images is still working correctly

  * Regression potential

  There are some changes around the shortcut dialog, check that the
  correct actions are listed there

  ---------------------------------

  In Ubuntu 19.10 I was able to view HEIF/HEIC files in Eye of Gnome by
  installing an appropriate gdk-pixbuf loader. In Ubuntu 20.04 eog just
  shows the message "Could not load image <filename>. Unrecognized image
  file format".

  The HEIF gdk-pixbuf loader itself seems to work correctly, because
  gcpicview is able to display HEIF images even on Ubuntu 20.04. It's
  just eog that doesn't seem to use the loader anymore.

  I attached an example file 2020-04-11-14-45-361180.heic.

  This command works and displays the file: gpicview
2020-04-11-14-45-361180.heic
  This command shows the error message mentioned above: eog
2020-04-11-14-45-361180.heic

  Installed versions:
  eog:
    Installed: 3.36.1-1