This issue has sat incomplete for more than 60 days now. I'm going to
close it as invalid. Please feel free re-open if this is still an issue
for you. Thank you.

** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  usb audio device not given index 0

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have an iMic usb audio device. the built in sound card on the
  machine is disabled in BIOS.

  under dapper the iMic was the default device. after upgrading to edgy
  the iMic was given device index 1, an so is no longer used by sound
  playing apps.

  commenting out the line
  options snd-usb-audio index=-2
  in
  /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
  restores the dapper behaviour.

  I understand that this change was made to fix bug 31109, bug 46996,
  bug 46998 in alsa-driver (1.0.11-5ubuntu1).

  in the case of a real usb sound card, surely it should be the default
  sound card. why would i plug one in if i wanted to use the built in
  sound.

  in edgy:
  sam@flute:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
   1 [system         ]: USB-Audio - iMic USB audio system
                        Griffin Technology, Inc iMic USB audio system at
usb-0000:00:10.0-2, full speed

  in edgy with the line commented out:
  sam@flute:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
   0 [system         ]: USB-Audio - iMic USB audio system