Thanks Sebastien, I'll mark this one as verified on the basis that the
dock can be moved freely from one display to the other and back, and
that no crash occurs.

I've created bug 1877108 for the incorrect reporting of which display
the dock is currently being shown on.

** Tags removed: verification-needed-focal
** Tags added: verification-done-focal

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock in
Ubuntu.

  Problems with the Dock setting of "Show on" in the Appearance tab

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-shell-extension-ubuntu-dock package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in gnome-control-center source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-control-center source package in Groovy:

  I use a laptop with external monitor in a dual display set-up.

  The "Screen Display" tab of Settings application correctly shows:

  Display 1 as the built-in display
  Display 2 as the external monitor

  If I go to the new "Appearance" tab I see that the Dock is set to
  display on the Built-in display but it is actually being displayed on
  the external monitor. If I change this setting to display on the
  external monitor it displays on the laptop's built-in display.

  Once set to "All displays" the setting can not be unset and the dock
  insists on being displayed on both the laptop's built-in display and
  the external monitor.

  I used the Dconf editor to set
  org.gnome.shell.extensions.dash-to-dock.multi-monitor to off to correct the
problem although the settings application again shows that the dock is being
displayed on the built-in display when in fact it is being shown on the
external monitor.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.35.91-0ubuntu3
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME