Dear Marcus,

                      this was not, as it turned out, strictly a "bug"
in Launchpad terms. In fact, as I and my Watcher Raymond discovered from
inspired research by a guy whose name I have forgotten, it started life
as a deliberate "System Restriction" approved and adopted in the minutes
of Ubuntu's Central Committee.

                      Although originally intended as an emergency
remedy to cover the imminent release of the upcoming Ubuntu version, it
remained in force over the next _half dozen or so_ releases.

                      The story goes like so;- with HDMI  becoming
accepted it was intended to include suitable drivers in the next Ubuntu,
but with the release deadline looming, it was recognised that the
"Radeon" drivers for ATI video cards, were not fit to go. The sound
sub-system of said drivers was seen to host a nest of insecticide
resistant bugs keen to crash the entire system. The official solution
was to go ahead  with the release _with HDMI sound disabled_ but leaving
the video.

                      It effectively _became a bug_ when, possibly from
embarrassment (?), all mention of this was omitted from the "Release
Notes" of this, and following versions.

                      There were two workarounds:-

                      1) select the appropriate proprietary ATI driver &
install

                      2) follow instructions from Launchpad
contributors, ignore  the risk, and

_simply re-enable audio._

                   I had fun with this at the time. Hope you find it of
interest.

             Regards,

                          Bob

On 05/03/2020 13:14, Marcus Tomlinson wrote:
> This release of Ubuntu is no longer receiving maintenance updates. If
> this is still an issue on a maintained version of Ubuntu please let us
> know.
>
> ** Changed in: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [System Product Name, ATI R6xx HDMI, Digital Out, HDMI] Playback
  problem

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have 2 computers;  1)   this with Asus M2A-VMHDMI  motherboard, 2core AMD
CPU and ATI HD 6000 series graphic card where I do not actually use the HDMI
output
                                     ;  2)   the second with Asus M4A 72 PRO
motherboard, 4core Phenom and ATI HD 7000 (previously with the 6000 above),
which does use the HDMI to connect to a Sharp brand TV.

                                     The symptom is the same:-
                                     i) turn computer on
                                     ii) select "system settings"
                                     iii) select "sound"
                                     iv) observe that I am presented with only
2 choices for sound "output" ---onboard analogue, or
                                          onboard digital; NO HDMI

                                     This same symptom occurs with every
attempted upgrade from 12.04 Precise Pangolin, whether I upgrade
                                     online  or from CD ; or  erase the entire
installation and re-install the later versions fresh from CD (which I
                                     often do when out of frustration I have
been tempted to load proprietary ATI drivers .......resulting in little
                                     pop-ups with AMD kindly informing me that
I am mounting "Unsupported Hardware" sic.)

                                     NOW:-
                                                 When ASUS make half the
Motherboards on the planet and ATI make half the Graphic cards, then
                                    WHY?? , if I choose  on account of this
prevalence to regard this as a rather general bug and and start writing
                                     this report is my computer already telling
me that I have to go "unix-nerd" , and open a terminal, and install a
                                    program called "pavucontrol" which is a
volume control for something called "Pulse Audio" and which as  I
                                    eventually find instruction; will, if run
with no options and no commands, tell me in an extremely frustrating
                                    fashion, that somewhere in it's interior it
is running my desired HDMI at 100% volume !!

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-30.44-generic 3.8.13.6
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-30-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  bob        1848 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  bob        1848 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0c:   bob        1848 F...m pulseaudio
  Date: Thu Sep 26 22:10:09 2013
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:Generic failed
  Symptom_Card: Turks/Whistler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series] - HD-Audio
Generic
  Symptom_Jack: Digital Out, HDMI
  Symptom_Type: Only some of outputs are working
  Title: [System Product Name, ATI R6xx HDMI, Digital Out, HDMI] Playback
problem
  dmi.bios.date: 02/04/2010
  dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
  dmi.bios.version: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI ACPI BIOS Revision 5001
  dmi.board.name: M2A-VM HDMI
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  dmi.board.version: 1.XX
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: 123456789000
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologies,LTD:bvrASUSM2A-VMHDMIACPIBIOSRevision5001:bd02/04/2010:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnSystemProductName:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKComputerINC.:rnM2A-VMHDMI:rvr1.XX:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.name: System Product Name
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer