Just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.4, seeing same symptoms, screen artifacts
after X startup and some fonts corruption. Font problems are in some
applications/windows only, e.g. Chrome window, gvim, terminal are all
fine (so far). However Unity taskbar and System tray usually have broken
fonts (some characters).

Video card: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Iris
Plus Graphics 655 (rev 01)

It happens with or without custom config (needed to stop video tearing):

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "Intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
Option "TripleBuffer" "true"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "Tiling" "true"
Option "Pageflip" "true"
Option "ExaNoComposite" "false"
Option "Tiling" "true"
Option "Pageflip" "true"
EndSection

Also tried Wayland but it's a no go because it freezes right after I
enter password in gdm3.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  Intel Drivers Artifacts after Mesa-Dev Update

Status in xserver-xorg-video-intel package in Ubuntu:

  After the update from the 20.04 LTS fresh live image from 19.3.3-1ubuntu1 to
20.0.0-1ubuntu1 mesa
  I get serious artifacts on startup when using the intel driver instead of
modesetting.  These artifacts go away when I enable Option AccelMethod "uxa"
but persist if the default, "sna" or the other modes are used "none", "off",
"blt".

  These pixels appear throughout the experience of using Ubuntu and
  generate in sporadic places.  The font also looks completely broken.
  I've never had this issue before with the Intel drivers.  I have
  Skylake HD 530.