My journalctl -b 0 output (tail portion) note it has the line:
May 14 21:12:35 envybird fprintd[3142]: free(): invalid pointer

  gnome-control-center crashes on setting up fingerprint

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  When I try to setup my fingerprint in gnome-control-center, I first
  have to choose which finger I would use, and when I press the "next"
  button, it crashes : "Unable to access device "Validity VFS0050"
  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:Message recipient
  disconnected from message bus without replying".

  For information, my fingerprint sensor is :
  - lsusb
  Bus 001 Device 005: ID 138a:0050 Validity Sensors, Inc. Swipe Fingerprint
Sensor

  Ubuntu 20.04

  gnome-control-center:
    Installé : 1:3.36.1-1ubuntu5
    Candidat : 1:3.36.1-1ubuntu5
   Table de version :
   *** 1:3.36.1-1ubuntu5 500
          500 http://be.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  What I expected to happen, is that everything works and that I can set up my
finger for unlocking.

  What happened instead : it crashes with the information "Unable to
  access device "Validity VFS0050"
  GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:Message recipient
  disconnected from message bus without replying".

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.36.1-1ubuntu5
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia wl
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue May 12 22:00:30 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=fr_BE:fr
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>