Fix in Xorg:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/447#note_515426

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  forced software cursor with PageFlip enabled triggers artifacts on
  screen

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in xorg-server package in Ubuntu:

  The following Xorg configuration triggers faulty behaviour, like
  blinking cursor, corrupt graphics around it etc.:

    1 Section "Device"
    2   Identifier "graphicsdriver"
    3   Driver      "modesetting"
    4   Option "SWCursor" "true"
    5   #Option "PageFlip" "off"
    6   #Option "AccelMethod" "none"
    7 EndSection

  Either switching SWCursor to false or uncommenting line 5 or 6 makes the
issue disappear.
  Disabling accelleration is naturally the least recommended way of resolving
the issue.
  As far as I've analyzed Xorg's source code shipped with 20.04, I can see that
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/0aaac8d783e78c040a70a55ba8d67809abd7e625
  which should probably automatically handle the issue (haven't tried to build
with those changes yet) is not included. If it ever should be in (as it looks
like a workaround only), reamains an open question.

  I am not entirely sure which package to attach this bug to, Xorg seems
  the most viable at the moment. My reason for the uncertainty
  originates from the fact, that I have also tested other distros, e.g.
  SuSE tumbleweed (build from this week, exact versions to be added if
  needed) with KDE plasma, which happens to reproduce the bug only with
  OpenGL set as compositor's backend; XRender operates perfectly fine
  there; hence it is a bit unclear to me which compoment is the "owning
  interface" and which one is actually buggy, be it Xorg, mesa or
  compositor; please reassign the bug accordingly if needed.

  My plan for the nearest future is to verify whether the aforementioned
  change actually circumvents the issue. If anything else should be
  looked at to fix the problem, I am open for suggestions.

  Package: xserver-xorg-core 2:1.20.7-2ubuntu2
  BootLog: Error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/boot.log'
  CompositorRunning: None
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME