This issue has sat incomplete for over two years now without any
response to comment #12 or further reports of the problem so I closing
this report as "Invalid".

Please feel free to re-open this bug report if anyone still sees an
issue when using a currently supported release of Ubuntu.

** Changed in: ubuntu-gnome

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Attempting to update extensions through Epiphany fails and messes
  everything up

Status in GNOME Shell:
  Confirmed
Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  Invalid
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I am running Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 with GNOME 3.24, and if I am to use
  Epiphany then there is one hell of an issue with updating extensions.
  So if I went here https://extensions.gnome.org/local/ in Epiphany and
  tried to update an extension with little green up arrow, then for a
  few of them it might work, but sooner rather than later I would just
  get a big white on red "ERROR" message where the buttons would
  normally be. At which point, if I had tried to update extensions which
  were disabled at the time of me trying to update them, they would
  become enabled and be stuck on that mode until I restarted my machine.

  It also appears to break a lot of things with gnome-shell, though what
  it does each time appears rather random. This issue was present in
  GNOME 3.22, but certainly got worse with everything in the AO breaking
  with 3.24.

  If I try to disable or enable any of the affected extensions using the
  gnome-tweak-tool then I am unable to move the slider and there is a
  little "error loading extension" (gnome-tweak-
  tool_Extension_Errors.png) next to each one, I am also unable to get
  the "Remove" button to work.

  I have also attached some screenshots of the kinds of strange things
  that occur when I do this. You will also notice the "Applications" and
  "Places" (Applications_Places_Menus_Showing.png) menus being present,
  those extensions are some of those that weren't on originally, but
  then got jammed on when I tried to update them even though I never
  actually tried to turn them on. If I then restart my system I can
  disable and even remove them, but not until a full restart is
  performed. Not even restarting gnome-shell seems to work.

  I have also noticed that after I start seeing "ERROR" on the website
  that I get the same or just the update arrow reappears a few seconds
  after clicking it with all the other extensions and thus am unable to
  update them. This is all rather annoying.

  Note: Any strange big white boxes or black boxes in the screenshots
  are just me hiding personal information etc.