In general I think people with high DPI screens would prefer to use SVG
icons and live with or report a small number of bugs with a small number
of mid-rendered icons then live with 100% of all icons being pixelated
and ugly. Perhaps making the SVG renderer default only for high DPi
users of SVG-compatible icon themes would make everyone happy: high DPI
users get nicer icons overall, while devs get more user eyeballs (and
bug reports, and potential contributors) using the SVG renderer.

FWIW all the icons look flawless to me with the Breeze SVG icon theme
and a global 250% scale scale factor

  Pixeled icons with LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 on HiDPI/4K display

Status in LibreOffice:
  Confirmed
Status in libreoffice package in Ubuntu:

  LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 shipped with Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS shows pixeled
  icons on a HiDPI/4K monitor like used in the Dell XPS 13 9360.