Hello,

i'm back to this issue. I reinstalled Ubuntu 20.04 on the same laptop
and i'm still having sound related issues, as other seems to also
feedback.

Main issue is the stability of the computer with default settings. It
happens on a random (but high ratio) basis that the computer gets
completely frozen at the login page. Only way to pass throught this is
to force a poweroff with a long press on power button.

When this issue does not accur, the system is pretty stable, but those
random freeze still do occur and are seems related to sound system
because for example the fact that I receive a call on some instant
messaging app do cause the freeze !

Stability gets even worse when the laptop is hooked to the HP G2
thunderbolt dock. Under those condition, the login page freeze is
systematic (but it's possible to boot without the dock and to hook the
dock after which get the system back to usable mic but unstable system)

If I add the options snd-hda-intel dmic_detect=0 (either in the
modprobe.d rules or with the kernel command line version) then I have a
perfectly stable computer, but without microphone.

System is running kernel Linux ZBook15G6 5.4.0-38-lowlatency #42-Ubuntu SMP
PREEMPT Mon Jun 8 17:28:37 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
but behaviour has been the same with generic version of the kernel, and also
with previous versions.

If there are any tests or logs I can provide to try getting this sorted
out, please let me know.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [HP ZBook 15 G6, Realtek ALC285, Black Mic, Right] Microphone not
  detected

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,
  on a brand new HPZbook15G6, with a fresh dual boot 19.10 Ubuntu install, I
have no internal mic detected.
  The GNOME settings sound entry list is empty. Speaker sound is working
properly.

  When hooking a microphone enabled headphone on the jack plug, the
  headphones mic is then detected, but there is now no sound output on
  the headphone.

  I've been looking for a few similar issues on recent (HP or not)
  laptops and found a few similar issues :

  Bug #1523100
  Bug #1837821

  so I guess this is a generic alsa or snd-hda-intel issue with newer ALC2xx
hardware.
  I already tryed quite a few of the workaroubds/fix available here and there
(e.g. overriding pin with hdajackretask, adding options to snd-hda-intel module
etc. none with success)

  I'm available to test/provide any additional needed data.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  mathieu    1719 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  mathieu    1719 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Dec 14 13:33:14 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaRecordingTest: ALSA recording test through plughw:PCH successful
  Symptom_Card: Audio interne - HDA Intel PCH
  Symptom_Jack: Black Mic, Right
  Symptom_PulseAudioRecordingTest: PulseAudio recording test through plughw:PCH
successful
  Symptom_Type: Only some of inputs are working
  Title: [HP ZBook 15 G6, Realtek ALC285, Black Mic, Right] Recording problem
  dmi.bios.date: 11/06/2019
  dmi.bios.vendor: HP
  dmi.bios.version: R92 Ver. 01.03.04
  dmi.board.name: 860F
  dmi.board.vendor: HP
  dmi.board.version: KBC Version 65.23.00
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: 5CD944676Z
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: HP
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnHP:bvrR92Ver.01.03.04:bd11/06/2019:svnHP:pnHPZBook15G6:pvr:rvnHP:rn860F:rvrKBCVersion65.23.00:cvnHP:ct10:cvr:
  dmi.product.family: 103C_5336AN HP ZBook
  dmi.product.name: HP ZBook 15 G6
  dmi.product.sku: 6VD99AV
  dmi.sys.vendor: HP
  mtime.conffile..etc.modprobe.d.alsa-base.conf: 2019-12-14T13:26:02.404591