Thank you for your bug report, is that still an issue in newer ubuntu
versions?

** Changed in: evince (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Evince sometimes fails to open under Wayland (Protocol error)

Status in evince package in Ubuntu:

  Under Ubuntu 17.10 I find that Evince (3.26.0-1) often fails to open
  when I'm logged on using Wayland. There's no problem using X.

  The error is very simple. I double click a PDF file in my file manager
  and expect it to open in Evince (Document Viewer). And mostly that's
  what happens, but after having opened a few files, it just stops
  working for some files.

  The error seldom occurs with the first PDF file I open after a reboot,
  but after I've opened a few files, the error pops up, but only for
  some files. Some files I can click and they open in Evince each time,
  whereas other files will never open in Evince. They open fine in other
  applications and under X.

  When I try to open the file from the command line, I get the following
  error message:

  pinnerup@ergi:~$ evince Dropbox/Litteratur/Sprog/Græsk/Beekes\ \&\ van\ Beek\
–\ Etymological\ Dictionary\ of\ Greek.pdf
  Gdk-Message: Error 71 (Protocol error) dispatching to Wayland display.

  If I rename the file (e.g. by adding the number "2" to the file name),
  make a copy or move it to another directory, it opens without
  problems. However, after some time the renamed or new file will fail
  to open with the same error.