could you give some details on how you create the pdf and paths
references? is that still an issue in recent versions?

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  links to local files are always processed as relative paths

Status in evince package in Ubuntu:

  When I create a pdf with a link to an absolute path (e.g.
  /home/me/link.pdf) and open it in evince it tries to read it as
  relative to the path of the opened pdf, e.g. if I open
  /home/me/doc.pdf and click on the preceding link evince tries to open
  /home/me/home/me/link.pdf. It should open /home/me/link.pdf, otherwise
  the user is unable to link to files outside the local directory

  Ubuntu 16.04.1
  Evince 3.18.2-1ubuntu4