@Heewa, a general rule in Debian/Ubuntu is to always fix things in
upstream first before patching downstream (as long as it’s not a distro-
specific patch or packaging bug). This makes it easier for maintainers
to cherry-pick fixes or updating to newer versions.

Debian does not really like to diverge from upstream nor apply local
patches not approved by upstream, exceptions are for things that are
critical, violate the Debian guidelines or don’t integrate well in the
Debian distro, and Ubuntu follows that too for things that seem more
appropriate to the Ubuntu developers and fit more to the Ubuntu project.

Some people in the GNOME community might tell you differently especially
if they are from other distros than Debian.

  gnome-shell-calendar-server leaks GBs of memory every few days

  Fix Committed
Status in gnome-shell package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description:
  It's been happening repeatedly over the last maybe week? I have to
  manually kill it about once a day, when I start to feel everything
  slow down as the OS starts to swap.

  Actually, I tracked down and fixed a few leaks in the code, and it
  looks stable so far. I'll submit a patch soon, as well as send the fix
  upstream to Gnome.