I think this is covered by bug 1883174 already.

   Some desktop icons disappear

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons in
Ubuntu.

  Selecting "Show Hidden Files" hides desktop icons randomly

Status in gnome-shell-extension-desktop-icons package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu 20.4 LTS
  Nautilus 3.36.3

  What I expect to happen:
  When selecting "Show Hidden Files" checkbox, I expect any icons on my desktop
for hidden files to appear and for icons for regular files to remain visible.

  What actually happens:
  when I select the "Show Hidden Files" checkbox, random icons on my desktop
are hidden.

  When deselecting the same checkbox, sometimes not all the missing
  icons reappear.

  There appears to be no pattern to the missing icons. Different icons
  are hidden on different occasions and there is no consistency as to
  the file type hidden (sometimes one icon for a .txt file  is hidden
  and another icon for a different .txt file is not, for example).

  When navigating to the Desktop folder in Nautilus the expected
  behavior is observed - i.e hidden file visibility is toggled in the
  Nautilus window, regular files remain listed always.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.36.3-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.4
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip