Sorry, can't relate times exactly. It was after I installed all the
libav and gstreamer libraries, and it happens every time. Personally, I
don't see a connection with the logs, but it seems to me that the issue
has started after Nautilus was upgraded to 3.37.90. The older ones
(e.g., 3.37.3 or 3.37.1) didn't have the issue.

  Nautilus not showing video thumbnails

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Using Ubuntu 20.10 (Groovy) Daily Live, GNOME session (gnome-session)
  on Wayland. Nautilus is no longer showing thumbnails (generated by
  Totem) for some video files, although the Totem thumbnail generator
  (totem-video-thumbnailer) is working. Nautilus is showing thumbnails
  for video files with (Ogg) Theora codec content (even if wrapped in a
  non-Ogg file format, such as mkv), but not for others, although I have
  installed all the required/usual libraries (libav*, gstreamer1*).
  Deleting the thumbnail fail cache (~/.cache/thumbnails/fail/) does not
  help. Installing ffmpegthumbnailer does not help either. This seems to
  be a regression, or maybe some libraries for video files in non-free
  codec formats have not been updated properly. Package versions are as
  follows:-

  Nautilus: 1:3.37.90-1ubuntu1
  Totem: 3.34.1-2ubuntu2

  Package: nautilus 1:3.37.90-1ubuntu1