For the record, this just happened to me on a *fresh* install of Ubuntu
18.04.

The first thing I did after system installed months ago was to install
Unity from repositories (and set lightdm as the default greeter). Unity
may not be the default anymore in 18.04 but it runs and looks great.

Today I needed to test Gnome Shell. So I logged out, and in the greeter
selected "Ubuntu (default)" instead of pre-selected "Ubuntu (Unity)".

And that *insane* zoom up happened. Same as described by OP.

Logging out and back into Unity everything is OK. Also tried "Ubuntu
(default on Wayland)" and same super zoom

  gnome-shell interface shows up extremely scaled up

  Invalid

Bug description:
  Trying the gnome session, the login process and gdm screen work perfectly,
but then in gnome shell, I get a very scaled up interface that is completely
unusable.
  Even the mouse cursor size is like 1/4 of the screen's size

  Instead, logging back to Unity, the interface shows up with the
  correct, usual scaling dimensions

  Package: gnome-shell 3.24.2-0ubuntu7
  CurrentDesktop: Unity:Unity7