I have issue with this on ubuntu 20.04 focal, I have setup the color emoji for
chromium and another program for using.
Once I update to 20.04 and it using snap version of chromium, It turn back to
black and white emoji which is quiet annoy me for spending time to debugging it
and find out that is snap version causing it.

I have turn the chromium-browser back to deb version and it all back to
normal.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  [snap] emoji show as black and white if fonts-symbola is installed

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using the Chromium Snap from the Beta channel.

  Test Case
  =========
  0. Be sure you don't have the Chromium deb running.
  1. Visit https://launchpad.net/bugs/1779569
  The rainbow emoji ๐ŸŒˆ should show in color
  2. sudo apt install fonts-symbola
  3. Close Chromium. Wait a few moments to make sure it closes then open it and
repeat step 1
  4. The rainbow emoji ๐ŸŒˆ shows in black and white

  Other Info
  ==========
  Firefox and GTK apps like gedit correctly show ๐ŸŒˆ in color as long as
fonts-noto-color-emoji is installed, regardless of whether fonts-symbola is
also installed.

  I also was unable to duplicate this bug with the Firefox Snap [edge
  channel 63.0b9-1 (134)].

  System Info
  ===========
  Ubuntu 18.10
  fonts-noto-color-emoji 0~20180810-1

  $ snap info chromium
  name:      chromium
  summary:   Chromium web browser, open-source version of Chrome
  publisher: Canonicalโœ“
  contact:   https://forum.snapcraft.io/
  license:   unset
    An open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more
stable way for all
    Internet users to experience the web.
  commands:
    - chromium
  snap-id:      XKEcBqPM06H1Z7zGOdG5fbICuf8NWK5R
  tracking:     beta
  refresh-date: 8 days ago, at 13:41 EDT
  channels:
    stable:    69.0.3497.100 (494) 141MB -
    candidate: 69.0.3497.100 (494) 141MB -
    beta:      70.0.3538.16  (487) 142MB -
    edge:      70.0.3538.9   (472) 142MB -
  installed:   70.0.3538.16  (487) 142MB -