Thanks for all that.

The first and biggest problem I can see is this USB device:

  Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

Unfortunately Cambridge Silicon Radio dongles are unreliable and buggy
for everyone. I had to learn that the hard way too... So I strongly
recommend getting a different brand as a first step.

The only remaining concern then is the other wireless dongles on the
same machine:

  Logitech, Inc. LX-700 Cordless Desktop Receiver
  Valve Software Wireless Steam Controller

If replacing the Bluetooth dongle with a non-Cambridge one does not
solve the problem then I would try unplugging the above devices. And
also moving away from other sources of 2.4GHz interference like wifi
access points.

But mostly I recommend avoiding dongles that have Cambridge Silicon
Radio chips. They are known to cause all kinds of random failures. The
only hard part is that you can't tell that's what they are until after
you buy one and plug it in :(

** Summary changed:

- pulseaudio bluetooth problems with profiles
+ [Cambridge Silicon Radio] Bluetooth has multiple connectivity issues

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  [Cambridge Silicon Radio] Bluetooth has multiple connectivity issues

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Pulseaudio has been super unstable since ubuntu 20.04.
  bluetooth has multiple connectivity issues which sometimes can only be
resolved by unpairing and then pairing again.

  A big problem comes when a bluetooth headset is connected. Sometimes
  it does not show up as well in the sound settings or the wrong profile
  is shown. Sometimes I try changing the profile it works, but other
  times it does not alter anything - e.g. changing from hfp to a2dp
  shows the change but the profile remains. If I switch settings tabs
  and go back to sound settings the old profile remains.