Kubuntu 20.04: Ctrl + Esc and Ctrl + Shift + Esc doesnt work. But Ctrl +
Alt + Esc works of course.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  Custom keyboard shortcuts using Esc key do not work

Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  I have just upgraded to 14.04 and found an issue with custom keyboard
  shortcuts.

  In 12.04 I used to have Shift + Ctrl + Esc as a custom shortcut to
  suspend my machine, upon upgrading I have found that any combination
  use Esc key will not run the command.

  It appears to be a regression from 13.10 as another user is reporting
  the same issue in askubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/q/489418/8570

  Using any alternative such as Shift + Ctrl + F1 works fine.